Wherever you go, I'll go there too. Here and there and everywhere, and always with you. ~Sandra Boynton

Sunday, January 23, 2011

Snow, snow, and more snow!

Well, this is really late, but we have been busy doing this:Most of you know that we got quite a lot of snow in Georgia a couple of weeks ago (6-8 inches at our house!). Reminded me of when I was a kid and we actually got snow like that about once a year. At least it seemed like once a year to me. Enough for us to own snowsuits. I was so glad my kids (well, Collin) got to experience the fun. Without snowsuits. We waited all day for the snow to start falling, and it finally did after dark. It was amazing how much fell in such a short period of time. Collin was so excited when he woke up! On the first day, it was so soft and powdery, you couldn't even make a snowball. But Collin really enjoyed playing outside (twice) and having hot chocolate and marshmallows. I think Katelyn thought we were crazy. She wasn't very excited. We also made snow cream for the first time. Both kids loved it. Not great in my opinion, but better than I thought it might be. The only thing Collin didn't like about the snow was this:
The second day, there was a layer of ice on top of the powdery stuff. Collin and I were able to make a snowman (okay, I built the snowman while Collin ate handfuls of snow). And here's why I will not spend an hour making a snowman next time it snows:
I didn't get any pictures or video of day three, but it was complete ice. Dangerous to walk on ice. It didn't break under our feet like the day before. Collin had a blast "sledding" on a cardboard box in the backyard. I had fun running up (to get ready for the next sled down) and down (because I was afraid he would keep going down into the woods) the hill for about an hour. Mike had finally made it into work this day, or I would have called in for reinforcement. But it was worth it.

On day 4 we headed down to Fayetteville as planned (well a little later in the day so the sun could melt some of the ice) to get the kids settled at Nanna's and Mimi's before we headed to Vegas. It was amazing how much ice and snow were still on I85 4 days later! But we made it safely there and to the airport the next morning and had a great weekend away. Thanks to Nanna, Gumpy, Aunt Kandace, Mimi, and Auntie Joy for taking care of them. I know they both had a blast, as did we!

1 comment:

  1. It took me a minute on that first picture. I was like, "Why did Kristen and Mike let Zac Brown hold Katelyn in a baby bjorn?" And the video of Collin covered in snow is still making me giggle...

    ReplyDelete

Followers