Wherever you go, I'll go there too. Here and there and everywhere, and always with you. ~Sandra Boynton

Saturday, August 14, 2010

Family is Forever


I have to share a sweet, sweet story about my little man tonight. A few weeks ago, Collin and I were having a seemingly harmless and innocent conversation about who my mommy is, who daddy's mommy is, etc. Somehow we got on the topic of me growing up and me not living at Nanna's or PaPaw's house anymore. Still didn't think much about it until Tuesday as we were pulling into the driveway after having ice cream.

From the backseat, I hear Collin say, "Mommy, when I'm not a kid anymore, where will my playroom be?" Huh? Suddenly, numerous comments from him start running through my head from the last two weeks. "Mommy, am I older yet?" "Mommy, when am I going to be big?" etc. etc.

When I look back at him, I realize he has an extremely worried look on his face. Poor kid has been thinking about not living at our house for weeks. I started stuttering and trying to find the right words to reassure him. Finally I said, "Mommy was just being silly. I thought you would want to live somewhere else when you got bigger and all grown up. Do you want to live here with Mommy and Daddy forever?"

I had barely gotten the question out of my mouth, and he says, "Yes, let's do that."

I got out of the car and went around to unbuckle him from his carseat. I gave him a big hug and told him I would be so sad if he didn't live with us anymore. Then I heard the sweetest words which melted my heart and brought tears to my eyes at the same time. He said, "I would be so sad if I didn't belong at your house." I kept hugging him for a long time (in part so he wouldn't see his silly sappy mommy crying).

I haven't heard a word about it since....



No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers